Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

PHOTO STORY — 8/20/13

Today was hectic and wonderful, but most importantly filled with photo opportunities, so, until I can write a full post on teaching, let me tell you about the other parts of my day.

This is the view from a back window at my school, Gumi Shinpyeong Middle School. I am not in the least bit over my honeymoon with the Korean landscape. Every time I walk by a window I catch my breath.
Here is my desk at school. I share an office with my Fulbright co-teacher in the English hallway. I worried it might be lonely, away from the other teachers, but people are often dropping in to use the printer or just say hello. Every day after lunch we have coffee together with one of the other English teachers. I really appreciate the teachers here letting me into their routines and relationships, even with (and despite) my pitiable Korean skills.
Here is my view walking home from school. It's only a 5 minute walk but I get to survey Gumi and the surrounding mountains as I go. Between trying to get on my feet with teaching and getting to know my host family I haven't explored Gumi much yet, a fact I hope to change very soon. Tomorrow I should be opening a local bank account and I plan to purchase a bus card as well.

 This evening my host family and I went to Geumo Mountain and walked around the lake there. Geumo is famous for the obvious beauty and because of this a little holiday town has grown up there complete with a mini theme park and hordes of cute restaurants.
We stayed late enough to see tired families heading home and college students heading out for the night.

Tomorrow is another day of teaching, wish me luck! ~ Josephine

3 comments:

  1. I really like the third picture. The composition is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro! The one of Gumi city? A lucky accident ;) You would love taking pictures here — so many mountains. (So now you have to come visit, ok?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenery is beautiful Josie! Thank you for keeping a blog; I love reading about your adventures. Good luck getting your bank account and bus pass. Soon you will be ready to explore.
    Sending love and prayers for a great teaching experience and lots of inspiration for lesson planning.
    I am proud of you, and we all love you!
    P.S. Karen is sitting beside me and Adam is on the sofa. We just had tea, and since it is a hot Arkansas day we're all contemplating a nap.

    ReplyDelete