Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

VOCAB QUIZ

Patbingsu (sounds like poppingsu) has been popping up in my posts lately and I've been meaning to do a food blog soon, but you'll just have to settle for a post all about patbingsu because it's delicious and I am obsessed.
Patbingsu is a magical Korean desert served only in the summer time at cafes and ice cream shops. Patbingsu has four main features to recommend it:
1. Patbingsu is made up of many sweet things put together in one bowl.
2. When your patbingsu arrives at the table you mix all the ingredients together by stabbing them with your spoon.
3. Patbingsu is mostly shaved ice so it's practically healthy.
4. Patbingsu is made to be shared.


Above is a photo of my patbingsu in Donghae. Patbingsu also comes in a huge range of flavors. This patbingsu was mint chocolate chip which meant it was made of shaved ice, mint ice cream, whipped cream, tiramisu, and a mixture of oreos and sweet cereal. The basic make up of any patbingsu is shaved ice, ice cream scoop, plus one to two other sweet toppings. A more traditional patbingsu includes red beans, fruit and sometimes mochi (rice cakes). I have yet to eat a patbingsu with mochi in it, much to my sadness. Besides mint chocolate, I've tried green tea and mango with green tea as the clear winner. Now I just need to sample them all before fall rolls around.

3 comments:

  1. My kind of dessert! I think I had a similar treat at my Korean friend's house once, but it was more like a novelty ice cream bar with beans... very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Josephine--this is Krystal. :) We never really talked, but I remember seeing you around Hendrix, and since we graduated I developed a love of Korean pop culture, so I was really excited to find this blog.

    Anyway, I found a song that immediately made me think of you because of this post, so I wanted to share it. I hope it makes you as happy as it did me! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQIA-FkK3eo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal — I'm always happy to share the love of Korean pop culture!

      Delete