Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

EATING KIMCHI...

...is something I was looking forward to before coming to Korea. I was looking forward to mouthfuls of kimchi because of its name, kim-chi. The two rounded syllables make for one tasty word. However, now that I've arrived I've realized what I really want is to enjoy kimchi and that is going to take some work.

I think this might be like a lot of things during my year in South Korea. Everything from speaking to teaching to eating will take practice. Thankfully, that's something I can do. Of course, having just arrived in the country yesterday most of what I practice lately is staying awake and not getting lost in Jungwon University (our home for the next 6 weeks).

At least getting lost isn't so bad when the campus is gorgeous and, honestly, just plain huge. Usually I'm not impressed with simple size, but Jungwon feels legitimately monolithic.

2 comments:

  1. Josie! Tune into that spot that aged foods like fine cheese and pickles hit. I think of kimchi as the same kind of taste as Ethiopian ingera with the spices they use on their dishes. sour + spicy + savory. you can do it! I thought about going to a korean restaurant with you before you left but :(.

    ps the university looks so... grand and ancient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shoua! I'm definitely warming up to the spicy sour/sweet combo ;) We'll have to get Korean food when I come back!

    ReplyDelete