Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

KPOP

So last week we learned the dance to the popular KPop song What's Your Name? by 4 Minute and since then I've been watching KPop videos non-stop (for immersion purposes of course). Boy bands are alive and thriving in Korea. I love it. My favorite at the moment is Big Bang, especially their dramatic Haru Haru and the classic feel of Bad Boy. Some of the connoisseurs here have also introduced me to Exo-K and the serious questions of What is Love? I haven't listened to the girl groups as much, so that's my homework. For now, I just really like this Lee Hyori song: Crazy. I'm interested in how the video plays with gender norms, while admitting its own place within that structure. I can't decide if the video is subverting or reinforcing the gender roles it depicts. Interesting too, since some gender signifiers such as touching and personal appearance vary slightly from the U.S. to Korea.

2 comments: