Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

LOSING MYSELF IN DAEGU (대구)

Last weekend I traveled from my home in Gumi to the nearby city of Daegu for some much needed time with friends and American food. All the cities in Korea have unique (sometimes odd) English slogans and this weekend "Colorful Daegu" was celebrating its name with an international body painting festival. My friend Jina and I planned to meet around mid-morning, grab an American brunch, then go to the festival until about 7 or 8 in the evening. Unfortunately Saturday turned out to be one of those days when everything goes wrong.

From Gumi to Daegu it is only 30 or 40 minutes by train or an hour by bus. I had planned to take the train, but as I barely caught the bus to the train station I got a text from a friend saying there were no trains to Daegu because of a crash at the station. As the day unfolded I learned that a KTX train (Korea's fastest, going around 300km/hr) had crashed into a slower train somewhere between Gumi and Daegu. I doubled back to the bus station and quickly bought a ticket for Dong Daegu where I hoped Jina was also arriving. The station was a madhouse because of the crash and I just barely managed to grab a seat on the bus. From Gumi to Daegu the aisle was stuffed full of standing people. In fact I was glad I made it on the bus at all.

Arriving in Daegu went smoothly and Jina and I were able to find each other with little trouble. For the last two weeks I hadn't seen or really spoken to anyone from orientation beyond the odd Kakao, so meeting Jina was cathartic. There are some things you can only say to people you know well. There are some things you can only vent about when you've already crossed that bridge with someone. We both had a lot to say about homestays and teaching. It's good to hear, not just what is similar, but what is wildly different about our experiences. It gives us some scaffolding, some perspective to hang on to when our own lives are so new.

Meeting up also gave us an opportunity to indulge. Jina was craving bacon and I was starting to dream about french toast so we caught a cab downtown in order to find JJ's Bar and Grill, a notoriously delicious brunch spot for foreigners. Once downtown we knew we were close. However, between the two of us I'm pretty good at maps, but pretty bad at Korean, whereas Jina is quite good at Korean, but not the best at maps. So we took a nice long walk before finally reaching JJ's — only to find that it was closed. We stood in front of the sign that said "JJ's Brunch 11-4 Sat and Sun" and shook the doors, but what can you do? We stopped into a little cafe, had a bit of a cry, used the toilet, and googled brunch spots in Daegu on our phones. I found a pretty hip looking cafe called Hany's that was supposed to be only a few blocks away. We walked there and it was as artsy as promised, but also closed.

At this point we gave up and went to a restaurant unambiguously called "Burgers and Pasta." The place had sliding glass doors opening out onto the wide shopping street and about five waiters. We were the only people there. But the best part was that "Burgers and Pasta" turned out to have brunch. It was like that saying, "Stop looking for love and love will find you," except it was "Stop looking for brunch and brunch will find you."

Pleasantly full, we did some wandering, some light shopping and slowly caught a taxi to Duryu Park where the festival was taking place.

The park was sprawling with twisty pine trees, hordes of food booths and picnickers. I want to go back and just lie in the shade on a lazy weekend. We explored a bit, ran into a few other ETAs and then watched the show. The festival had two parts — costume design and literal body painting. The costumes were first and were stunning in a gaudy, sci-fi kind of way. I liked the second half better. With the body painting you could really see how the paintings moved with and and around the model's muscles, like a new way of mapping out the body or some kind of optical illusion. It was the familiar shape of the human body made unfamiliar. Each time a model walked onto the stage I found myself straining to differentiate the body in paint from the picture itself.

After the show there was music and we ended up staying much longer than we meant to. I found myself reluctant to leave my friend's company and head home. The nights have been getting chillier now as the sun sets, just cold enough that you long to be out of the wind and to hold a hot drink in your hands. But we had buses to catch, host families to return to, and we went our separate ways.

I returned to the bus station feeling a little rushed, a little nervous. I wanted to get back to my host family and rest. I had gotten careless though. Usually I am a meticulous traveler, but I was feeling comfortable in Korea. I hadn't double checked the last bus times and when I got to the station I discovered the last bus was not at 9:30 as I thought but at 8:30. I had missed it by half an hour.

I texted my host mom and hurried over to the train station, thankfully within sight of the bus stop. There's nothing like losing your means of transportation to leave you feeling exposed. It's almost like a herd instinct, I wanted to have someone with me, or a hole to hide in. I felt then that everyone knew I was alone. My pessimistic side was confirmed when the clerk told me there were no trains to Gumi.

I walked back to the bus station once more and called my host mom. I told her I couldn't come back to Gumi, that I would call a friend and stay overnight. My eyes were crying a little bit and I hurried to walk it off, to look in control. It was at this point my phone told me it was running on only 7% battery. I've traveled a fair amount, but always with friends. Being in Daegu without a friend or phone would be the most alone I have ever been in my life. I didn't realize before how much my sense of safety everyday comes from having a place to return to and the confidence that I can get there. I was still fighting back tears when I called my friend Nic, a second year ETA who I knew was visiting friends in Daegu today. He was still in Daegu and told me how to reach them. I managed — with my phone still clinging to life — but not before I took the wrong bus, traveled 30 minutes into a dimly lit suburb and had to take a taxi all the way back. To know that I was safe, that this was not the weekend I would sleep on the streets of Daegu was such a relief. I'm grateful to have such support and friendship from all the ETAs here and to know, no matter where I am, there is someone I can call on. On the other hand, I'm going to stay put in Gumi this weekend, and the next time I travel, I will treat the Korean transit system with the proper respect and circumspection.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're safe Josie, and that you had time with good friends. We love you and are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete